Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sunday in London

Today was my first day in our London ward. The testimonies were very touching and I counted at least nine different ethnicities in the congregation. The first American to bear her testimony was a woman who was wearing red, white, blue, and black. She explained that the red, white, and blue was to celebrate the U.S.'s independence from Britain and that the black was mourning for the Mother Country who lost America. It was pretty funny.

During what would normally be sunday school, the bishop (or maybe it was the stake president..) pulled us aside and kind of explained to us that since we wouldn't be here long, we would just attend the ward and help where needed. He also said something like: Today you are probably wishing you were eating BBQ, lighting fireworks, and drinking sugary-carbonated drinks. This may be the first time you are away from your family, friends, boyfriends, and home during this holiday. However, when you are away from the places you feel most secure, you may make this an opportunity to find out who  you are. I challenge you to go on a walk to the park and to sit there and think, if only for a few minutes: "Who am I?" and once you figure that out you might answer the question, "Who is God?" and then answer, "Who is Jesus Christ?" In those few minutes, you have answered for yourself these questions and you can board that plane home and know who you are, who God is, and who has saved you.

Anyway, it was really touching. I cried.

After church, I did go to the park and contemplate these things. This is what I came up with. Who am I? I am a princess of the Most High King or in other words, Heavenly Father. I am a sister to my siblings and a daughter to my parents. I am a friend. I am a peacemaker. I am a student. I am a lover of good books. My nature is divine and my soul is immortal.
Who is God? God is my Heavenly Father whose sacrifice and love for me has given me a family, a body, immortality, and a chance to live with Him again. God is all powerful. He knows everything and He is perfect. We are all His children and Christ is His Begotten Son. Heavenly Father loves me perfectly and knows what is best for me. If I trust in Him, I know I can become my best self.
Who is Jesus Christ? Jesus Christ is the most perfect man ever to be born on this earth. He glorifies Heavenly Father and loves us so much that through much pain and suffering He made an intercession for us. We can purge ourselves of our sins and become clean and whole so that we can enter God's presence at some point. Christ is our Brother, Redeemer, Savior, King, Light, and who the gospel often centers around.

After the park, four of girls went to watch Evensong at Westminster Abbey. The abbey was absolutely full of stone graves and we noticed that Sir Isaac Newton was buried there. The music was pretty cool and I felt like I was living in more ancient times. However, I prefer our chapel and our ordinances because I know that they are correct.

I finished my fast and had the biggest peanut butter and jelly sandwich of my life. Wishing that there was a waffle or two in the mix.

Love,
Jazlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment